REPORTS TO: Artistic Director
NUMBER OF DIRECT REPORTS: 3
SALARY: $50,000-$58,000 DOE
FULL TIME EXEMPT POSITION
An MFA in Technical Direction or a Bachelor’s Degree in Technical Theatre are strongly preferred or equivalent experience and training. An additional 1-2 years of professional experience as a technical director, assistant technical director, or carpenter in an equivalent venue or shop is required. Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license. Flexibility and the ability to work evenings and weekends as needed is required.
• Ensures that the technical quality of TheaterWorks productions and presentations is of the highest quality;
• Oversees and manages the technical requirements for all TheaterWorks productions, including educational programming;
• Responsible for engineering and scenic construction for all Theater Works productions;
• Responsible for supervising all technical aspects of TheaterWorks productions including lights, sound, scenic painting and properties;
• Responsible for oversight of technical operations of the Peoria Center for the Performing Arts rentals and presentations;
• Utilize and oversee the volunteer base to assist in the construction and operation of scenic and technical elements for performances.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
• Runs scene and paint shop, stages, and house in accordance with all appropriate safety standards and procedures.
• Helps to establish and operate within a technical production budget including shop and theater equipment.
• Responsible for supervising the use, inventory, and maintenance of shop tools and mechanical equipment.
• Reviews and implements equipment and property rental policies and procedures.
• Reviews all plans and designs for production scenic elements and scenic builds
• Ensures that all equipment is maintained and in safe working order.
• Supervises all visual and technical support including the setting up and operating of sound, light, and audio-visual equipment for TheaterWorks productions.
• In conjunction with the Artistic Director and Production Manager, coordinates with all contract professionals.
• Operates in a multitasking environment that encourages teamwork and collaboration.
• Collaborates with Directors, Stage Managers, Set, Sound, and Light Designers to create a technical experience that enhances the artistic expression on the stage.
• Collaborates with renters and presenters within the Peoria Center for the Performing Arts on technical elements in the facility.
• Responsible for the supervision, and training of backstage volunteers, running crew and fly operators.
• Hire and supervise scenic painters, carpentry, and over hire crews for productions as needed.
• Proficient in drafting with AutoCAD
• Skilled at accurately budgeting time and finances for scenery builds and scenic paint needs
• Knowledge of stage, sound, lighting, and mechanical equipment and rigging including electricity and electronics systems and hardware.
• Thorough knowledge of theatrical, musical, and stage show technical techniques and requirements.
• Skilled, competent and proficient in stage rigging best practices.
• Skilled in planning, organizing, and supervising all stage builds, set-up, load-in, and strike activities.
• Skilled in the use of management techniques required to operate several theaters simultaneously in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
• Team player who can lead and be part of a team as an individual contributor.
• Has ability to respond to unusual and rapidly changing requirements with calm, flexibility, and an attitude of service.
• Creative problem solver who can deal with complex and ambiguous challenges.
• Ability to work effectively as a team member with a wide variety of people and in a wide variety of roles.
This is a full time exempt position. The Technical Director supervises a lighting supervisor, audio supervisor and master carpenter. The selected candidate will be eligible for benefits including paid time off, health and professional development opportunities.
Organization/Company: TheaterWorks Website: https://www.theaterworks.org Location: Peoria, AZ Deadline: Open Until Filled How to Apply: Please send resume and cover letter to Artistic Director, Chris Hamby at [email protected]