Ballet Arizona is seeking a Technical Director to serve as the primary engineer and executor of the scenic designs for Ballet Arizona productions. This includes supervision/execution of occasional set construction and load-in and load-out for both rented and self-built productions. The Technical Director works with the Production Stage Manager and Director of Production to manage and execute the artistic vision, supporting 6 main stage and 4 school productions as well as an outdoor park performance series each season. The Technical Director is also responsible for day-to-day maintenance of Ballet Arizona facilities.
Responsibilities Include but are Not Limited to:
– Supports the Director of Production in meeting budget requirements and ensuring that infrastructure is of the highest quality
– Prepares for each performance in a proactive, communicative, and orderly manner
– Works with scenic designer and/or rental company and provides/prepares construction drawings, ground plans, line set schedules, cost-out of materials, and bids to shops as needed.
– Supervises stage crews at venues to ensure proper installation of all technical elements of each production (scenery, rigging, lighting, props, sprung floor, etc.).
– Oversees/executes construction of scenery and determines build locations and construction techniques, materials, equipment and labor for construction as needed.
– Ensures adherence to OSHA and local safety regulations and that a safe workplace environment is maintained in the Ballet Arizona scene shop and at all venues.
– Maintains up to date inventory of all production equipment and materials.
– Maintains all tools, equipment, and scenery (such as foggers, lighting booms, lighting equipment, sprung floor and marley, scenery and props).
– Assists Director of Production in determining shipping and receiving schedules.
– Oversees coordination of transportation/freight services and/or rental trucks, supervises loading and unloading of trucks to ensure they are packed appropriately, and drives rental trucks as needed.
– Oversees storage arrangements for maximum efficiency.
– Provides event support as needed for all events taking place in Ballet Arizona facilities.
– Responsible for day to day building maintenance including minor carpentry, plumbing, and electrical repairs; changes lamps in lighting fixtures, etc.
– Assists the Director of Production in coordinating maintenance efforts which require the engagement of an outside service provider or contractor such as HVAC, major plumbing, major electrical, roof leaks, parking lot repairs, etc.
– Oversees quality control metrics for janitorial and maintenance contractors through routine and frequent visual inspections of the building.
– Assists and performs other duties as required or assigned by the Director of Production.
Essential Skills and Experience:
– BA preferred with emphasis on Technical Theater
– 2 – 4 years related experience with a major arts organization
– Advanced knowledge of VectorWorks, theatrical lighting, scenic construction in multiple disciplines (wood, plastics, metals, foam, textiles, etc.), scene painting, rigging, welding, carpentry, electrical, plumbing.
– Current driver’s license and clean driving record with ability to drive trucks up to 26’ in length.
Organization/Company: Ballet Arizona Website: http://www.balletaz.org Location: Phoenix, AZ Deadline: Until Filled. How to Apply: Submit Cover Letter and Resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org