Tempe Arts & Culture seeks a Public Art Specialist to join the Tempe Public Art team to assist with the project management of permanent and temporary projects around the city. This role requires excellent communication skills, creativity, attention to detail, and experience with project management.
Closing Date: Open until filled
Hourly Wage: $18.00-20.00 per hour
Work Schedule: Maximum 28 hours per week; flexible weekday scheduling; occasional weekends may be required
Education and Experience: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in visual art, design, arts administration, museum studies, art history, or a degree related to the core functions of this position. Equivalent to two years of experience administering or managing arts granting, arts projects, or curatorial programs, or in the organization and management of arts programs in a public setting.
Essential Job Functions:
• Assist with Tempe Public Art projects and related programs, including monitoring and maintaining logistics for permanent and temporary art installations and commissions.
• Participate in the artist selection process for public art projects, distribution of Calls for Art applications, logistical needs for selection panels, and selection panel preparation.
• Assist with the management of the public art project maintenance including, but not limited to, project assessment, oversight of contracts for vendors, review of materials, and oversight of bid process.
• Manage and oversee neighborhood grant public art projects with the support of the program director. Work with artists, community members, and contractors to ensure that the artworks are created in a reliable and professional manner while adhering to best practices as they relate to the public art collection.
• Assist Director of Public Art in tracking Art in Private Development (AIPD) updates including regular review of project plans and communicating between Arts and Planning. Conduct research related to AIPD including, but not limited to, program development, resources for developers, and resources for artists.
• Create artist correspondence, file updates, and maintain staff communications on delivery/pick-up schedules, project logistics, and installation needs for public art projects, as needed.
• Exhibit excellent written and proofreading skills with attention to detail and accuracy. Deliver professional customer service to artists, staff, volunteers and residents.
• Ability to work on concurrent projects and demonstrate effective time management, problem solving, and organization skills. Initiative and self-starter skills are essential.
• Perform other related duties as assigned by the Director of Public Art.
Skills Preferred: Microsoft Office suite; Adobe; familiarity with structures, construction/design plans, and building materials; familiarity with multi-media sculpture; understanding of basic project management.
Physical Demands: Work is performed both in the office and in the field which requires standing, walking, sitting, and lifting up to 25 lbs., occasionally climbing stairs and ladders, frequent use of sight for monitoring activities, viewing and assessing public art and documents, and regularly requires communicating with others in person, on the phone, and by letter and email.
Applicant Requirement: Successful completion of selection process, completion of background investigation and verification of identity/work authorization. Possession of a valid Driver’s License.
Organization/Company: City of Tempe
Location: Tempe, AZ
Deadline: Open until filled
How to Apply: Go to www.tempe.gov/artsjobs for the "Public Art Specialist" job listing and a link to the application PDF.
Email Resume and Application to: [email protected]
For questions, please contact: Rebecca Blume Rothman at 480-350-2827
Tempe is an equal opportunity/reasonable accommodation employer