Position type: Exempt
Supervisory responsibility: Yes
Organization and Mission:
HD SOUTH, Home of the Gilbert Historical Museum, has been part of the Heritage District since 1982. The museum is located in the former elementary school built in 1913 which is the oldest building still standing in Gilbert and the only one on the National Register of Historic Places. The organization expanded its mission in 2017 to include not just history, but all arts and culture. In addition to a history museum, we have an art gallery and public programs in 6 areas – history, art, science, music, literature, and health and wellness. The mission of HD SOUTH is to be a vibrant cornerstone of an intergenerational community that celebrates the past, inspires unity of all people and cultivates life-enriching collaboration. The vision is: We envision communities where all generations know, trust, and care for one another.
The President and CEO is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the organization which includes, but is not limited to, fundraising, public relations, financial management, capital improvements, exhibitions, volunteer programs, strategic planning and board relations.
Development and Fundraising – Accountable for all aspects of fundraising including grant writing, special events, donor cultivation, and other philanthropic and earned revenue strategies.
Financial and Risk Management- Responsible for all aspects of fiscal management, including budgeting, analysis and oversight of restricted and unrestricted funds, and development and oversight of capital budgets. Makes sound decisions and recommendations based on a thorough understanding of the overall financial picture. Establish and monitor appropriate fiscal procedures and controls. Ensures that the organization and the collection are adequately covered from a legal, regulatory, and risk management standpoint.
Program Delivery – Responsible for working with staff to ensure the quality and effectiveness of the programs and exhibits at HD SOUTH and ensures that they are in alignment with the mission and vision of the organization.
Public Relations- Works to achieve and maintain a positive, viable community image, assuring the organization’s mission is well known. Represents the organization in appropriate community groups. Maintains active and close relationships with appropriate community partners including the media. Serves as the primary spokesperson for the organization.
Board Relations and Development- Provides leadership and expertise to the Board while building a relationship of mutual respect and trust. Provides timely and appropriate organizational updates to the board Chair and assists in the cultivation of board members from the community. Ensures proper board governance is in effect. Works with the board to set operational, program, and fundraising goals.
Staff and Volunteer Development and Management- Responsible for the recruitment, development, and retention of high-quality staff members. Manages human resources so all areas of the organization are adequately supported and goals and objectives are achieved.
- Stays current on arts, culture, and museum best practices and current trends in the industry.
- Develops and executes strategic initiatives and plans as directed by the Board of Directors
- Stays current on all issues affecting non-profit organizations
- Provides leadership in development, implementation, and evaluation of new and existing programs and exhibits
- Oversees facilities management and capital improvement projects
- Attends all board and committee meetings and special events
- Must have clear and competent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work respectfully and effectively with a variety of individuals including visitors, board members, volunteers, staff, donors and community partners
- Must have an understanding and passion for history, arts, and culture, especially in the Gilbert and surrounding area
- Must consistently exhibit high levels of initiative, flexibility and professionalism
- Willingness to attend outside meetings and events to represent HD SOUTH
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and decision-making skills, ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Must be willing to work flexible hours including mornings, evenings, and weekends. Physical duties including lifting, standing, etc. may be required.
Required Education, Experience, and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 5 years of non-profit experience in a senior management role.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field.
- Five years of diversified fundraising experience including grants, individuals, corporations, and special events.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills demonstrated by having effectively worked with and gained support of stakeholders, including employees, board members, volunteers, potential donors, community partners and others.
- Demonstrated ability to build organizational capacity and infrastructure for growth.
- Demonstrated ability to widely network in a community with tangible results
- Proficiency with general office technology and software.
Additional Preferred Experience:
- Capital campaign and capital project construction experience
Organization/Company: HD SOUTH, Home of the Gilbert Historical Museum Website: http://hdsouth.org Location: Gilbert, AZ Deadline: December 11, 2020 How to Apply: Please email your resume, cover letter, and contact information by December 11, 2020 to: [email protected] and reference "Hiring Manager" in the subject line.