The City of Chandler Cultural Development Department is currently seeking qualified individuals to fill the full-time position of EXHIBITS CURATOR at the Vision Gallery and Chandler Museum.
Job Location: Vision Gallery, 10 E. Chicago St., Chandler, AZ 85225 Chandler museum, 300 S Chandler Village Dr, Chandler, AZ 85226
Work Hours: Monday – Friday – 8am – 5pm – Other times as assigned, including evenings
The primary function of an employee in this class is to perform a variety of Museum and gallery functions including the development, and coordination of both permanent and temporary artifact exhibits and displays including; on-site, offsite, and traveling exhibits, that enhance the educational mission of the museum and support the arts and culture division.
Essential Functions (non-exhaustive):
• Coordinates tasks related to the Museum’s in-house exhibition program including: research, writing, design, layout, fabrication, installation, and de-installation in collaboration with exhibit team;
• Designs exhibition experience including design, layout, square footage, graphic design, storyline, and flow of exhibits;
• Coordinates the Museum and gallery exhibits program including writing, graphic design, productions, and deployment;
• Coordinates the Museum’s traveling exhibits program including identification of potential exhibits, scheduling, contracting, delivery, installation and de-installation;
• Collaborates with the Collections Coordinator for selecting, preparing, acquiring and installing artifacts for planned exhibits, as well as reversing the process when the exhibit closes;
• Collaborates with the Education Coordinator with exhibit learning goals, interpretation, interactive education components and related programs for permanent and changing exhibits;
• Collaborates with the Visual Arts Coordinator selecting, preparing and installing art in shows in the Vision Gallery and the Gallery at the Center for the Arts.
• Supervises exhibit installation staff;
• Plans an annual schedule for Museum exhibits for Museum Administrator approval 18 to 24 months in advance of exhibit opening;
• Assists the Museum Administrator with the exhibit program priorities as part of the annual strategic plan for the Museum;
• Assists the Museum Administrator with the development and monitoring of the exhibits annual budget for the Museum;
• Assists in developing and monitoring overall marketing and public relations strategies for the exhibit program at the Museum, the Vision Gallery and the Gallery at the Center for the Arts;
• Works with other area institutions and organizations in developing and coordinating collaborative exhibits;
• Works with the Museum Administrator and Visual Arts Coordinator to research, identify and prepare potential grant applications to fund exhibition programs;
• Utilizes volunteers to assist the exhibit program through identification of work tasks, development of volunteer job descriptions, providing instruction, assembling needed materials, training, scheduling and supervision;
• Develops, maintains and revises the Chandler Museum and Visual Arts exhibit policies, and procedures;
• Assists in the planning and implementation of special events;
• Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures;
• Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions. Follows City-wide safety policy and practices and adheres to responsibilities concerning safety prevention, reporting and monitoring as outlined in the City’s Safety Handbook.
Essential Physical Abilities:
• Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permit the employee to discern verbal instructions and communicate effectively on the telephone and in person;
• Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permit the employee to comprehend written work instructions and review, evaluate, and prepare a variety of written documents and text materials;
• Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permit the employee to operate standard office equipment and a personal computer;
• Sufficient personal mobility, flexibility, and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to lift up to 50 pounds and to work in an office and gallery environment.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Museum Studies, Social History, Public History, Art History, Design, or related field; and
• Two (2) to three (3) years of exhibit experience or in a museum or gallery setting; and
• Valid Arizona Driver’s License with acceptable driving record; or
• Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
• Master’s Degree in Museum Studies, History, Public History, Art History, Design or related field.
The position available is regular full-time position and is subject to a six (6) month probationary period. A register of qualified candidates will be active for four (4) months should another position become available.
The City of Chandler will conduct a pre-employment MVRRS (Motor Vehicle Record Request System) check as a condition of employment. An offer of employment is contingent upon acceptable results.
The City of Chandler fingerprints all applicants selected for hire to evaluate the fitness of prospective employees. The examination process may vary if determined necessary.
Please apply online by Sunday, September 29, 2019, 11:59 pm by clicking on the appropriate link below.
The City of Chandler is committed to Equal Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation.
Organization/Company: City of Chandler
Location: Chandler AZ
How to Apply: Please apply online by Sunday, September 29, 2019, 11:59 pm by clicking on the appropriate link below.