This position supports Free Arts by setting and driving financial discipline and operational efficiency, contributing insights that aid overall organizational performance and achieving the strategic vision for the organization. This position supervises finance and operations staff, directing all internal accounting and external reporting needs of the agency, human resources, technology, and resource management.
Supervises others: Yes
Reports to: Executive Director
Employment Status: Full-time employee
FLSA Status: Exempt
Benefits: Full-time employee benefits*
Salary Range: $60,000-$68,000 annual compensation
Schedule: Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Location: Phoenix & Surrounding Areas
Telework & Flexible Schedule Eligible: Yes, after 90 days of employment
Remote Eligible: No
Position competencies include:
Strategic Thinking, Expert level of Competency
• Demonstrates the ability to “connect the dots” between multiple systems – internal and external.
• Monitors the forces driving current reality that may have long-term effects.
• Develops plans to prepare for opportunities and mitigate risks.
• Develops, executes, and maintains finance-related and operational goals based on the organization’s strategic vision with performance metrics that drive growth, as well as promotes buy-in from staff and board.
• Creates connections and bridges understanding organizationally in all areas of operations including budgeting, programs, fundraising, marketing, technology, and strategic planning to all stakeholders.
• Responsible for leading the Finance Manager in, and ensuring the implementation of, the organizational three-year budgeting cycle, $2.5 MM- $3.5MM (AP & AR) annually.
Leads through Vision & Values, Expert level of Competency
• Inspires others with compelling visions.
• Translates visions into activities, behaviors, and performance expectations.
• Recognizes and rewards actions that support Free Arts’ vision and values.
• Ensures mission statement remains in the forefront of all aspects and decisions of the organization through oversight of the financial and operational health of the organization.
• Serves as the staff liaison to the Board of Directors Finance and Operations Committee, Audit Committee, and other areas as assigned.
Develops Others, Advanced level of Competency
• Establishes and clearly communicates performance standards.
• Gives people assignments that will help develop their skills, abilities, and knowledge.
• Holds people accountable for achieving established goals and standards.
• Manages the Finance Manager in the creation of, and reporting-out of, the organizational financial position on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
• Manages the Operations Manager in the implementation of organizational operations support.
Conceptual Thinking, Advanced level of Competency
• Notices similarities between different and apparently unrelated situations.
• Quickly identifies the central or underlying issues in a complex situation.
• Develops analogies or metaphors to explain a situation.
Analytical Thinking, Advanced level of Competency
• Defines the cause, effect, impact and scope of problems and their relationships to each other.
• Notices discrepancies and inconsistencies in available information.
• Utilizes logic and systematic processes to analyze and solve problems.
• Oversees organizational compliance through staff training sessions, performance tracking, and developing processes for the implementation of new and existing compliance requirements.
Organizational Competencies Include:
• Promotes the transformative nature of resilience-building arts programs.
• Makes business decisions grounded in the mission.
• Promotes healing nature of art, creativity & healing.
• Advocates for the interests for children & partners.
• Ensures that others involved in a project or effort are kept appropriately informed.
• Tailors communication content, tone, and method (verbal written, email, phone, etc.) to audience.
• Seeks to fully understand before responding.
• Consistently delivers on commitments, demonstrating both competence and credibility internally and externally.
• Actions are aligned with intent and words.
• Involves people in decisions that affect them.
• Prioritizes organization and group objectives over individual goals.
• Provides assistance and support to others to help them reach their individual goals.
• Expresses disagreements constructively and works toward solutions that are mutually beneficial.
• Demonstrates the ability to maintain composure.
• Takes initiative and acts without waiting for direction with available information.
• Accepts responsibility for gathering information, taking action and results.
Disclaimer: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change, i.e., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments. Further, there will be occasions when staff are asked to work outside of an 8:30 am to 5:00 pm workday.
• Candidate will have 8-10 years of experience in a senior leadership or management position with a background in finance and operations
• Experience elevating the financial function, systems, and policies to meet the needs of a growing organization.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain oversight and compliance of an organizational budget in excess of $2 MM
• Ability to use Microsoft applications at a high-functioning level
• High-level experience and understanding using software for maintaining and communicating financial position
• Must be able to have access to and provide reliable transportation for self. An AZ driver’s license and proof of insurance is required for qualifying mileage reimbursements.
Candidates with some of the following qualities and experience in addition to the years of experience are highly desirable:
• Background in human resources, technology resources, and/or building management
• Experience with equitable and inclusive practices
• Non-profit experience
• Ability to read and write in Spanish
• Experience with QuickBooks
• Experience with CRM software (Salesforce ideal)
• Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time using a computer.
• Must be able to identify and assess written materials including fine print.
• Must be able to position self to maintain files, supplies, document boxes, and other materials up to 10 pounds as needed.
• This person frequently interacts with staff, board members, funders, and constituents about the policies, procedures, and overall compliance Free Arts at an executive level. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
• Must be able to regularly work in a well-lit, temperature-controlled work area.
• Must be able to work a mix weekdays and weekends.
• Must be able to work in an open area with other employees and volunteers 80% of the time.
• Must be able to obtain and hold an Arizona Department of Safety Fingerprint Clearance Card.
Recruitment Dates & information
First review of applications will occur the week of November 29, 2021. Recruitment will close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications or on January 7, 2022, whichever is sooner. Job postings will remain posted until a candidate has filled the position.
Time Off: Free Arts offers generous vacation benefits starting at 12 days of vacation time per year, with increases every 2 years of full-time service, up to 25 days a year after 10 years on staff. After 10 years of full-time service employees may take a 3-week unpaid sabbatical. Additionally, all full-time employees have 12 sick days per year and 10 paid holidays per year.
Health Care: Free Arts believes in giving employee’s the opportunity to be as healthy as can be! To insure this, we currently offer 100% employer paid medical and dental premiums for full-time staff members on our base plan. Dependent(s) and spouse or domestic partner can all be added at staff member’s expense. Coverage starts on the 1st of the month following 60 days of employment.
Professional Development: Free Arts recognizes the importance of professional development and the value it brings to individuals personally, and to the organization professionally. To ensure that employees remain at the top of their skill level we offer a professional development budget to every full-time employee to pay for conferences, learning opportunities, certifications, memberships, and more. Budgets are assessed annually and are dependent upon the fiscal year budget, position, and tenure with the organization.
Retirement: Free Arts cares about your future! Fulltime employees are automatically enrolled into a Traditional 401(k) or Roth 401(k) after 90 days of service.
More About Us
Our staff is passionate about transforming children’s trauma to resilience through the arts.
At Free Arts, we incorporate and foster professional development, mentorship, and strengths-based approaches to our work because we believe in creating a growth environment for our employees. Throughout our Programs, Development, and Operations teams, you will find collaboration, trust building, and effective communications, and an environment that encourages self-management through modeled leadership. Come and learn how a career at Free Arts is exactly what you have been looking for.
Our dynamic work environment enables us to support the community and work diligently to connect volunteer mentors and caring community members to our programs. We work hard and make time to have fun. Our staff utilize diverse strengths and skills in unique ways allowing us to further our mission, trans-forming children’s trauma to resilience through the arts.
On Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Free Arts does not discriminate against individuals or groups, either in employment or in the delivery of services or benefits, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, or disability. We respect individual differences, realizing that society is enriched and strengthened by its diversity in all forms.
Transparent Compensation and Benefits
Free Arts utilizes a comprehensive salary and benefits package to provide for our employees. We want our employees to be paid a fair wage that is equitable in our sector. We ensure our employees have access to health coverage by fully paying the cost of each employee’s health and dental premiums. We ensure employees can plan for their future through our 401(k) retirement plan. We offer additional insurance products that each employee can choose to purchase to meet their personal needs. We offer more time off and paid holidays than most organizations in our sector. We offer professional development opportunities to every position, and we allow flexibility to employees in both the way they work and the work they do.
For more information on Free Arts visit www.FreeArtsAZ.org
Organization/Company: Free Arts for Abused Children of Arizona Website: https://freeartsaz.org/careers/ Location: Phoenix, AZ Deadline: 01/07/2022 How to Apply: Apply online with a resume, cover letter, and application here! (https://recruiting.paylocity.com/recruiting/jobs/Details/790047/Free-Arts-for-Abused-Children-of-Arizona/Finance-and-Operations-Director)