About: Rosie’s House: A Music Academy for Children is a nationally recognized free afterschool music program for students from economically disadvantaged families. Rosie’s House believes music education creates hope, fuels the imagination, sparks creativity, and is a powerful force for social justice and vitality in our community. Certified by the National Guild for Community Arts Education, Rosie’s House provides over 500 students, grades 1-12, with instruction in strings, winds, piano, and ensemble opportunities in winds, strings, mariachi, and choir. Rosie’s House is a creative youth development program that utilizes music education to achieve youth development goals.
Rosie’s House employs six full-time staff and 23 part-time highly trained music educators. Rosie’s House is seeking a passionate and experienced music educator with experience in piano performance and pedagogy to join the Rosie’s House team.
Primary Functions and Responsibilities
• Teach Advanced Choir Class (1), and Vocal Lab Classes (2) (solo/chamber vocal repertoire group classes)
• Evaluate student progress using a variety of student assessment methods
• Communicate proactively about student progress to student and parent(s)
• Maintain student policies and procedures in conjunction with Program Manager
• Attend and participate in student evaluations, parent teacher conferences, recitals, faculty meetings, and school events (all paid)
Curriculum Development & Program Evaluation
• Develop curriculum for Choir program and design student assessment tools in collaboration with Program Director and other music education faculty
Skills, Traits, and Qualifications
• Thorough knowledge of choir performance and pedagogy
• Experience teaching and evaluating students consistently over 2-4 years, with proven results in their learning and musical development
• Ability to identify and meet each student’s learning needs
• Experience integrating project-based learning and student leadership development in the group class setting
• Commitment to respectful, compassionate, and proactive communication with students, families, and staff
• Passion for transforming lives through high-quality music education
Education, Experience and Other Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in Music and/or Music Education.
• At least 1 year direct experience in Community Music School setting or equivalent.
• 3 years teaching experience
• Ability to receive/maintain a fingerprint clearance card
• Piano accompaniment proficiency
• Master’s degree in Music and/or Music Education.
• Arizona Teaching Certification.
Pay and Benefits
Pay rate is $50 per hour. 3 hours/week available. 401K benefit options and paid sick time available.
Program Calendar, Class Schedule
Position is for the 2020-2021 Program Year running Sept. 1, 2020 – May. 15, 2021. Rosie’s House program operates Tuesday-Friday 4:00p-8:00p, and Saturday 9:00a-1:00p. Choir lessons are currently scheduled on Saturdays but schedule changes could be explored. Some additional evenings will be required for recitals and events.
Rosie’s House classes will be conducted online for the fall 2020 semester. In spring 2021 classes will return to the school campus, and in-person instruction will resume after public health measures and safety are deemed stable by consensus among public health agencies and medical research agencies. Rosie’s House administration is continuously monitoring and evaluating measures for Covid-19 health and safety, and the date for returning to in-person classes on campus is to-be-determined.
• Dedicated space at home for work, and technology (high speed internet and audio/video software) to conduct live video streaming classes
• Ability to interact with students and conduct high quality instruction via virtual classroom and Zoom software
• Knowledge of safe practices for interacting with students online
Organization/Company: Rosie’s House: A Music Academy for Children
Location: Phoenix, AZ
How to Apply: Send cover letter and resume to [email protected] In addition, please fill out the Employment Application and the Safety Application that can be found on the Rosie’s House website. All questions may be directed to the same email address. Rosie’s House respects, values, and welcomes diversity in our workforce. We welcome candidates of varied backgrounds, capabilities, perspectives, social identities, and gender expressions. Rosie’s House is an equal opportunity employer.
Rosie’s House is committed to creating a safe environment free from abuse of any kind. Because we care for children and must protect them, Rosie’s House has policies that safeguard our children. Rosie’s House requires Sexual Abuse Awareness Training, Screening Process and Criminal Background Check for all faculty and staff members before employment begins. When we suspect abuse, we report to law enforcement.
Conditions: This position description does not promise or imply that the functions listed are the only duties to be performed or that the position may not change. Company reserves the right to revise the responsibilities or to require other or different tasks be performed at any time.