Provide vision, leadership, and management of K-12 learning and professional development, early childhood programming initiatives, and family engagement. Work collaboratively with the Director of Education as key member of the management team in aligning children’s education with the Garden’s mission and strategic plan.
- Hire, supervise, mentor, coach, and evaluate children’s education employees
- Develop and manage the Children’s Education program budgets to meet projected revenue and expense goals. Work collaboratively with staff to monitor, evaluate, and improve budget development and tracking.
- Fully participate in the planning and development of the new Children & Family Garden; imagine and prototype a robust portfolio of new activities and experiences for children and their families.
- Oversee operations of Cactus Clubhouse and Children Family Garden.
- Establish and cultivate relationships within educational and cultural organizations and promote the Garden as a collaborative partner in environmental education.
- Ensure promotion of all children’s programming through best practices in the museum education field; become the leading resource for science educators throughout the community by offering hands-on, inquiry based learning focused on State standards.
- Work with Marketing develop a strategic public relations plan for promoting children’s programming at the Garden
- Fully participate in the daily activities of the Garden.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field; master’s preferred
- Strong understanding of early childhood development; early childhood education experience preferred.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in managing staff teams including volunteers, and working on multi-faceted, deadline driven projects in a highly integrated environment.
- Experience with personnel management, project leadership, program design, budgeting, learning management system, and event scheduling software required.
- Experience teaching or management in a formal education setting or equivalent.
- Strong experience in informal education within the garden/museum/nonprofit sector.
- Experience developing and managing budget processes within an organization.
- Strong writing, communication, leadership, and teambuilding skills
- Bilingual preferred (Spanish)
- Ability to work off-hours with occasional evenings, weekends, and/or holidays
Typical office equipment.
Frequent communication with Garden employees and volunteers. Some communication with visitors.
No physical effort beyond what’s typically required in a normal office environment. Potential for tight deadlines or time periods of high workload may require additional hours. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal. This role may occasionally require outside work.
Must be able to walk, sit, stand, stoop, kneel, bend, see, hear, speak, read, and type. Manual dexterity and the ability to lift up to 10 pounds required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made, when necessary and feasible, to allow a qualified individual to perform essential job functions.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Desert Botanical Garden is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by law.
The Garden fosters and supports workplace diversity, equity, and inclusion to honor the unique perspectives, experiences, and contributions of all, to celebrate successes, and to cultivate individual and institutional excellence.
All employees will help add to the Garden’s diversity and fully embrace it.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and deliverables of the role. This is not a contract and should not be viewed as such. Other duties may be assigned by supervisor and/or his/her/their designee.
Organization/Company: Desert Botanical Garden
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Deadline: Open until filled
How to Apply: Visit: https://dbg.org/join-our-team/
You may review the listing under our Current Openings