As full time faculty and member of the Visual Arts department, this position will be responsible for the Drawing and Painting studios. We are in search of an enthusiastic, encouraging, and lively instructor to teach high school students in traditional painting and drawing techniques and conceptual advancement (beginning to advanced levels). Responsibilities include instructing students through the techniques of painting and drawing and providing knowledge and skills for students to build upon.
The Idyllwild Arts Academy provides pre-professional training in the arts and a comprehensive college preparatory curriculum to a diverse student body of gifted young artists from all over the world.
REVIEW COMPLETE DESCRIPTION & APPLY ONLINE:
– GENERAL INSTRUCTION & DUTIES –
· Teach a minimum of 18 hours a week.
· Teach all levels of 2D art, primarily painting and drawing.
· Attend all meetings mandated by the Visual Arts Chair.
· Attend gallery openings and Senior Show critiques.
· Work with colleagues to further develop and advance the 2D art curriculum.
· Given the nature of boarding schools, this position requires the ability to work nights and weekends.
– QUALIFICATIONS –
· Minimum three years of teaching experience, preferably at the university or high school level.
· Strong background and knowledge of oil and acrylic painting and a range of traditional 2D mediums such as watercolor, charcoal, and graphite. Ability to teach frame building and canvas stretching.
· Willingness to work in shared/collaborative workspaces.
· Familiarity with studio safety protocol.
– TEACHING / LEADERSHIP QUALITIES –
We are searching for a teaching artist who:
· Respects the guidelines and goals of the Visual Art Department.
· Works effectively with teams while simultaneously working independently to run and maintain a studio and generate innovative curriculum.
· Has the ability to diplomatically solve problems and work with different constituencies.
· Is willing to participate and lead social/cultural events and be an enthusiastic supporter of our students and school events and functions.
· Is sensitive to cultural, gender, and economic diversity.
– PERSONAL QUALITIES & ATTRIBUTES –
· Acts as a model of integrity.
· Understands professional boundaries between students and teachers.
· Respects confidentiality.
· Exercises patience and good listening skills.
· Flexible and has the ability to work under pressure.
· Keeps a positive attitude and outlook.
-PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS –
· Experience living in a boarding community or experience with leading and working with youths.
· Experience with international students or international communities.
– EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE –
Required: BA or BFA, preferably in Fine or Studio Art.
MFA preferred but not required.
Organization/Company: Idyllwild Arts Foundation
Location: Idyllwild, CA
Deadline: April 15, 2021
How to Apply: APPLY ONLINE: https://secure5.yourpayrollhr.com/ta/IAF01.careers?CareersSearch
Or interested candidates should send a CV/Resume (PDF or Word doc format, only), samples of art work, and a letter of interest addressing their skills, abilities and experiences relevant to this opening. Email to: [email protected]
Deadline for submittal April 15, 2021
Idyllwild Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer