Artist Opportunity Grant supports Arizona artists as they take advantage of specific, unique opportunities that have the potential to significantly impact their professional growth.
As this grant is available to artists working in all disciplines and at any stage in their career, a wide array of opportunities could be considered eligible. Proposed opportunities may be self-generated or by invitation and must have potential for significant impact in one or more of these three categories:
- Introduce Your Work to New Audiences: An opportunity to present your work in a significant way that will expose your work to new audiences or raise your artistic profile.
- Develop New Skills: An opportunity to develop new artistic skills though participation in activities such as conferences, artist residencies, workshops, fellowships, master classes, or apprenticeships.
- Develop Your Artistic Entrepreneurship: An opportunity to engage in entrepreneurial activities directly related to the advancement of your work. Such activities may include production of marketing materials, website development, payment of professional fees (lawyers, accountants, etc.), and any practice-related capital expenses (like equipment purchases, materials, services, rental fees for equipment or facility, etc.)
Keep in mind you will be asked to describe how engaging in the opportunity will advance your work. Further, the opportunity should not duplicate previous work or experiences, but should represent a new or further developing professional endeavor.
Eligible opportunities must take place during the funding period dates of the cycle in which they are submitted.
November 4, 2021, 11:59 pm
September 15, 2021 – June 30, 2022
February 17, 2022, 11:59 pm
January 1, 2022 – June 30, 2022
Artists may request between $500 and $1,500 in funding. The number of grants awarded is dependent upon the amount of funds available. No match is required.
Grant funds may be used for any of the following (this list is not comprehensive):
- Equipment purchases, materials, or services needed to fulfill/engage in the opportunity
- Rental fees, including equipment, instruments, facility (including short-term space and studio rentals), etc., which support the artistic opportunity
- Preparation, freight, and/or shipping costs
- Costs associated with documentation of the opportunity
- Travel necessary to engage in the opportunity* (see Funding Restrictions for more information)
- Registration fees
- Professional fees which support the artistic opportunity
When you’re ready, click on the “Apply Now” button below. This will take you to a website called Submittable where you’ll submit your application materials.
Narrative Proposal Details
Answer each of these questions.
You can type up your proposal narrative (1000 words),
You can upload it in a video or audio recording (no more than 6 minutes in length).
- Describe the opportunity you will engage in with the grant funds. What are your specific proposed activities? (250 words)
- Tell us about your artistic practice and why this opportunity is appropriate and vital to your work at this stage of your career. (250 words)
- How will engaging in this opportunity address at least one of the eligible opportunity categories (introduce your work to new audiences, develop new skills, or develop your artistic entrepreneurship)? (250 words)
- Why are you excited about this opportunity? What is this going to make possible? (250 words)
If you share your proposal narrative in a video or audio recording keep it simple and to the point. The recording should be just you, describing your proposal and answering the four questions listed above.
Please do not include edits of your work samples or special effects. Production quality of this recording will not be considered in your review. Just make sure we can hear and understand you and keep editing and post-production embellishment to a minimum.
Timeline of Proposed Activities
Provide a timeline that details the proposed activities related to your opportunity.
Please format the timeline as “Date/Month Year: Name of Activity.” Indicate which dates are finalized with an asterisk at the end of the Name of the Activity.
This may be a single date, such as “April 12, 2022: Day of Workshop*” or a bullet point list like the following:
- January-February 2022: Preparing Sheet Music for Printing & Rehearsing Flute Solo.
- March 3-5, 2022: Record with Jane Doe at AZArtsy Recording Studio Solo Pieces*
- March 6-8, 2022: Record with Jane Doe at AZArtsy Recording Studio Finalized Group Compositions*
Submit work samples you’ve completed within the last 10 years which are relevant to the opportunity. From the list to the right, please choose the most appropriate artistic work sample format to represent your discipline:
Applicant work samples
- 3 minutes of recorded audio
- 3 minutes of recorded video
- 6 images
- 5 pages of double-spaced text or 3-5 poems
- Combination of materials listed above: Please edit accordingly for no more than a total of 3 minutes of reviewing time (2 images=1 min.)
Please do not submit promotional materials. Panelists can’t assess your work based on an exhibition poster, an event program, or a published review. Remember to test your work samples as you upload them.
Work Sample Descriptions
Provide a brief description explaining how the submitted work sample(s) relate to your proposal. Why did you choose them? (150 words)
- Title of the work
- Date completed/premiered
- Location/site of exhibition or presentation
- Dimensions and medium of the work
Provide 5 to 10 professional arts-based experiences you have engaged in over the past 5 to 10 years and briefly describe how each experience demonstrates progression of your artistic career. The experience list helps the panel situate the opportunity you propose in a broader context; please briefly describe the relevancy of the experiences you listed to the opportunity. (up to 200 words)
List eligible expenses ONLY (equipment, materials, services, rental fees, facility fees, preparation, freight, shipping, documentation, travel, professional fees, etc.) related to your proposal.
Grant Amount Requested
Indicate the grant amount you are requesting, based on eligible expenses, between $500 and $1,500.
If your eligible expenses exceed $1,500 please tell us how you will fund the rest of your proposed activities. (up to 200 words)