The purpose of the Arts and Culture COVID-19 Assistance Grants is to provide emergency assistance to arts workers impacted by the COVID-19 public health emergency; and specifically to provide short-term emergency disaster relief to help prevent eviction, prevent homelessness, assist with rent or mortgage payments, assist with subsidies for utility payments to preserve essential services, and other needs arising out of the economic impacts of COVID-19.
Applicants will be asked to complete an online form including contact information, artistic background, demographics, and demonstration of financial loss due to COVID-19.
One-time emergency relief funds will reimburse between $1,000 to $2,000 in arts-related lost income. No cash match is required. The final determination of award amount will be made based on volume of eligible applications and available funds. While applicants may request up to $2,000, final award may be less than requested reimbursement.
All awarded funds must be expended by December 30, 2020.
Open to individual artists and culture bearers that meet all of the following criteria at the time of application:
- 18 years of age or older;
- Reside within Tucson city limits, or within the city of South Tucson;
- Primary source of income is related to artistic production, teaching artist residencies, arts and cultural events, or contract work with nonprofit arts organizations. Full-time employed educators and faculty at colleges or universities are not eligible to apply for this particular opportunity.
Eligible Residence Zipcodes
85619, 85629, 85641, 85701, 85704, 85705, 85706, 85707, 85708, 85709, 85710, 85711, 85712, 85713, 85714, 85715, 85716, 85718, 85719, 85726, 85730, 85735, 85737, 85741, 85742, 85743, 85745, 85746, 85747, 85748, 85749, 85750, 85756, 85757
The condensed deadlines outlined below are meant to get relief funding out quickly. Please be sure to submit applications as soon as you are able. We cannot accept late or incomplete applications.
- Application Opens: Tuesday, September 8, 2020
- Application Deadline: Monday, October 5, 2020 (11:59pm)
- Notifications: Friday, October 23, 2020
- Award Disbursement: Friday, November 6, 2020
The grants are intended to respond to direct and second-order effects of the health emergency, such as providing economic support to those suffering from employment or business interruptions due to COVID-19-related business closures. Funds from this award may only be used to cover costs that:
- Are necessary expenditures incurred due to the public health emergency with respect to COVID-19.
- Were incurred during the period that begins on March 1, 2020 and ends December 30, 2020
- If the applicant has already received CARES funding from any source, you are still eligible to apply; however, Somos Uno funding may not be used to support the same losses or expenses already covered by previous cycles of CARES funds.
- Grant funds can be used only to reimburse expenses that were incurred due to the COVID-19 crisis and are within the criteria of section 601(d) of the Social Security Act. If grant funds are not expended in a consistent manner, the funds are subject to recoupment.
- A single application may include multiple arts gigs, jobs, or contracts in one application. Events, residencies, or contracts for which an individual is claiming lost income must have been scheduled to take place between March 1 and December 30, 2020. Due to need and anticipated demand, funds can only be applied to gigs, jobs, contracts that have been outright cancelled or terminated as opposed to postponed.
All awarded funds must be expended by December 30, 2020.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application form, including contact information, artistic background, demographics, and financial loss.
- Upload documentation of each cancelled or terminated event, residency, or contract that occurred between March 1 to December 30, 2020. Documentation may include, but is not limited to:
- copies of emails
- notification of cancellation
- Submit the complete online application before the deadline of Monday, October 5, 2020 at 11:59 pm. We cannot accept late or incomplete applications.
Applications will be reviewed for eligibility and completeness, then considered through the dual lens of demographic diversity and geographic parity. Following that review and consideration, applications are entered into a process for randomized selection.
The Arts Foundation for Tucson and Southern Arizona has an equity strategy that aims to identify and eliminate barriers that have prevented marginalized groups’ full participation from the agency’s programs and to strengthen equity, diversity, and inclusion in the arts and culture sector for all Tucson residents. The program is committed to a just and equitable distribution of the We Are One | Somos Uno Funding. To that commitment, the Arts Foundation for Tucson and Southern Arizona will consider equity and geographic parity as part of our decision-making and will work to expand the reach of this relief opportunity to a broad, diverse community of artists.
Applicants which have not been recipients of CARES funding at the local, state, regional, or national level may be prioritized. If the applicant has already received organizational CARES funding, Somos Uno funding may not be used to support losses or expenses already covered by previous cycles of CARES funds.
Application Questions: If you have questions about the application process or content of your application, please contact Natalia Gabrielsen, Grants and Services Manager, at [email protected] or (520) 624-0595. You can also sign up for a 15 minute session with AFTSA staff. Please include your email address and phone number when you sign up. Zoom conferencing or phone calls are available options for meeting. Sign up for a session at: https://calendly.com/aftsa-grants
Submit your own question here: https://airtable.com/shrosjgivqUXFREB6
Submittable Questions: If you encounter any problems with the online application platform, please reach out to the Submittable team at [email protected] or (855) 467-8264.
Organization/Company: Arts Foundation for Tucson and Southern Arizona Website: https://artsfoundtucson.org/grant/tucson-cares-for-artists/ Location: Tucson, AZ Deadline: October 5, 2020 How to Apply: Submit the complete online application before the deadline of Monday, October 5, 2020 at 11:59 pm. We cannot accept late or incomplete applications.