Downtown Tempe Authority seeks a muralist to design and install a mural on the historic Harkins Theatre. We are beginning this process with a Request for Qualifications.
● To celebrate the history of Valley Art Theater
● To reinforce the growing presence of art in Tempe
Built in 1940, Harkins Valley Art Theatre has a rich history in Downtown Tempe. The south wall of the Valley Art will be the location of the mural that celebrates this iconic business. The mural space is approximately 400-500sq ft. There are vines so the entire wall will not be utilized. You are highly encouraged to visit the site. The budget of $8,000 is all inclusive and covers all design, materials, installation and artist fee.
– This is Harkins property. Final design will go through Harkins approval process as well as the City of Tempe’s Design Plan Review process.
– The surface of the wall is stucco. The vegetation will remain and cannot be altered.
– The medium proposed must be durable and able to withstand the extreme sun and heat. A protective coating is required and should be factored in. No reflective paint.
– The design will be suitable and acceptable for public viewing by all ages, and must not include any branding or signage.
– Signed VARA waiver is required if selected.
Project Theme: The design of this mural should reflect the long history of the Valley Art Theatre and Harkins.
Eligibility: Each artist applying as an individual or part of a team must live in the Phoenix Metro area.
Organization/Company: Downtown Tempe Authority
Location: Tempe, AZ
Deadline: September 28, 2018
How to Apply: Artists interested in applying must email the following to email@example.com in one email if possible.
- Cover sheet containing contact information, if multiple artists, note lead artists and list team members. Confirm your ability to meet the deadline below.
- Project proposal In one page or less describe your vision for this project
- Resume not to exceed two pages. (include resume for each artist if part of a team)
- Work samples up to five examples of past artworks, may submit up to ten samples, regardless of how many team members. Digital files shall be in .jpg format. Label images 1_artist name.jpg,
2_artist name.jpg, etc. Describe your past work, including: title of artwork, year completed, materials, dimensions, location of installation (150 word limit per work sample)
- References Provide names, titles, phone numbers, and emails for three professional references who can attest to: success of past projects, qualifications and ability to complete the work on time and your ability to work well with a project team.
Artist/Team proposals will be evaluated on the following criteria:
● Quality of artist’s past work as demonstrated in the submitted materials
● Evidence from past work in the submitted materials that indicates artist's ability to create a unique and engaging artwork appropriate in concept, materials and scale for this project.
● A committee will be made up of representatives from Harkins Theatre, the Arts Community and DTA staff. After reviewing proposals, the committee will narrow to 3 finalists. As a finalist, you will be paid $100 stipend for a project rendering. It should not exceed 8.5”x 14x1”.
● This same committee will select 1 artist. A sample that shows your rendering on the wall space will be required as well as paint swatches.
● The rendering will then go through the Design Plan Review department of the City of Tempe.
August 28th Request for Qualifications opens
September 28th Deadline to submit
October 1st-3rd Jury convenes to select 3 finalists. Interviews if needed.
October 4th 3 Finalists notified.
October 18th Deadline for renderings
October 22nd-24th Jury convenes to select artist
October 25th-31st Meetings with Design Plan Review
November 8th Mural is completed
November TBD Celebration event
*timeline subject to change