Application Period Extended. Submit your nomination by July 1, 2020.
All nominations are made through the online portal, Submittable.com. You must set up an account with Submittable to submit your nomination. It is free and can be deleted by you at any time. If you have questions about this, please call Nelda Ruiz, program coordinator, 520-621-4046. Once invited to complete an application, artists will be paired with SFA staff who will answer any questions about the program and offer technical assistance with submission of a full application on the Submittable portal.
Applicant nominees must be:
- United States citizens, lawful permanent residents, or have permission from the U.S. Department of Immigration to work in the United States.
- Full-time residents of Arizona for a minimum of one full year.
- Master Artists must be at least 18 years of age. Apprentices must be at least 16 years of age.
- Recipients must remain residents of Arizona for the duration of the award year.
Artists are first nominated by peers within their community, cultural institutions, apprentices, or by self-nomination. Once a nomination has been made, SFA will invite nominees to apply. Only artists who have been nominated AND invited will be eligible.
The selection process is based on these three components:
- Mastery of artform.
- Nominee’s ability to describe how the mastery of this art form has been recognized by the artists cultural community and the artists ability to share traditional knowledge.
- Nominator/Master Artist fulfills a cultural art form or geographic area in the State of Arizona not currently being supported by SFA.
- May 1, 2020: Nomination Deadline
- May 15, 2020: Application Notification
- June 30, 2020: Application Deadline
- August 30, 2020: Award Notification
- September 30, 2020: Award Disbursement
- TBD: SFA staff site visit
To nominate an artist, you will be asked for the following information on Submittable.com:
- NOMINEE INFO
- Nominee Name (First, Last)
- Address (city, state, & zip)
- website (if applicable)
- DESCRIPTION OF ARTFORM: Describe the nominee’s art form, include the number of years the master artist has been practicing, and what are his/her contributions to the folk and traditional arts. (max 150 words)
- ARTIST BIO AND WORK: Upload the up to 5 files that support your nomination. These may include: Artist bio, marketing materials, and/or work samples. They may come from web sites, social media pages, images, video files, sound files, event announcements/brochures, programs, etc. (Acceptable file types: pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf, jpg, jpeg, gif, mp3, mp4, m4a, zip, tif, tiff, png, wpf, odt, wav, mov, xls, wpd, ppt, pptx, avi, mpg, xlsx, sib, mus, 3gp, flv, webm, psd, ai, mobi, epub, wmv, eps, key, ogg, aac, flac, aiff, wma, mkv, musx, ibooks, iba, tex, bbl, ltx, m4v, svg, fdx, dwg, vsd, vss, vst, vdx, vsx, vtx, mpp, mpx.)
- LETTER(S) OF SUPPORT: Upload up to 2 letters of support. These may come from the nominator and/or another community member familiar with the artist’s work (Acceptable file types: pdf, doc, docx, txt, rtf, wpf, odt, wpd.
- NOMINATOR’S INFO: Name, phone, and email address
Organization/Company: Southwest Folklife Alliance Website: https://southwestfolklife.org/master-apprentice-artist-program/ Location: Arizona Deadline: July 1, 2020 How to Apply: Artists are first nominated by peers within their community, cultural institutions, apprentices, or by self-nomination. Once a nomination has been made, SFA will invite nominees to apply. Only artists who have been nominated AND invited will be eligible.