The Civitan Foundation, Inc. is seeking one professional artist to create an outdoor mural for its new acquired and renovated building at 16th Street and Thomas in Central Phoenix. Civitan delivers a variety of specialized programs and services to meet the ever-changing needs of children and adults with intellectual disabilities. Serving over 300 individual members per day, Civitan is recognized as a community leader in dynamic, purposeful, and impactful programs and services that promote independence, community integration, and a healthy lifestyle.
The mural in intended for the exterior of the building and will be highly visible from the neighborhood and along the busy 16th Street corridor in Phoenix. The artwork will be expected to celebrate the unique spirit and identity of the surrounding community and surroundings. The mural will be approximately 10 feet high by 38 feet that includes an exterior door on the south side and a panel approximately 10 feet by 18 feet on the east side, facing 16 th Street. The mural must be painted on durable panels that can be attached to the exterior wall. The artist must use anti-graffiti materials as the building is near a very busy intersection and bus stop.
Eligibility: This opportunity is open to professional mural artists living in Maricopa County who have the ability to create an exemplary large-scale mural and who have engaged communities to gather stories as part of their designs. The final mural design will reflect both the neighboring community, the character and history of the building, and Civitan Foundation’s place in the community.
Project Budget: $8,000 will be awarded for this commission. This amount includes all artist fees – community engagement, mural design, materials, fabrication and installation on site, insurance, transportation, and project coordination directly with the Civitan Foundation.
Finalist Interviews: Up to three artists from the applicant pool will be selected for interviews with the Selection Panel. Please do not submit any designs. The selected artist will work directly with the community to design the mural and to execute the final design.
• Submissions Due: December 6, 2020
• Finalists Notified: December 2020
• Artist Contract: January 2021
• Community Engagement: January – March 2021 (NOTE: this will be dependent on covid-19 guidelines for gatherings).
• Mural installation: Late March 2021
Requirements and Deadlines for Submitting a Response to Call
RFQ Deadline: Sunday, December 6 th , 2020, 11:59 p.m. (MST)
Details and Requirements:
Submissions will be accepted via CaFÉ at http://www.callforentry.org. No e-mailed, mailed, or hardcopy submissions will be accepted.
To be considered for this commission opportunity, artists must create a free account on the CaFE website and follow the directions to submit the following via the online application form:
1. A one paragraph statement of interest, including any past design experience and how you have engaged with communities to develop past projects. Maximum 1000 characters.
2. Email and phone contacts for three professional references. If selected as a finalist, your references will be contacted prior to the final interview.
3. A current resume that is no more than 2 pages and in no less than 10-point font.
4. Upload up to five digital images documenting previously completed artwork. No videos please.
• Digital images must be JPEG or JPG only
• 1200 pixels or greater on longest side. Anything larger than 1200 px will be resized to fit the limitations.
• File Size: under 5 MB
• Do not include more than one image in each JPEG
• Do not superimpose your name, logo, or any other identifying characteristic on the JPEGs.
• With each image please include: title, dimensions (H x W x D), date of completion, estimated budget and brief description of the artwork. List must identify artist’s role if the project involved a team effort.
5. Questions about the project or submittal should be directed to Donna Isaac via email ([email protected]).
DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL ARTWORK. Applicants are strongly encouraged to retain a complete copy of their application for their records. Late applications will not be considered.
Organization/Company: Civitan Foundation, Inc.
Deadline: December 6th , 2020, 11:59 p.m. (MST)
How to Apply: Submissions will be accepted via CaFÉ at www.callforentry.org
Organization/Company: Civitan Website: http://www.civitanfoundationaz.org Location: Phoenix, AZ Deadline: December 6th, 2020, 11:59 p.m. (MST) How to Apply: Submissions will be accepted via CaFÉ at www.callforentry.org