The hearts are 5’H x 6’W x 40”D and will be located throughout the city. The placement of the hearts makes them accessible to pedestrians and visible to vehicular traffic. With this placement, the art should address the experience of both types of viewers. Artist will be compensated $1,200 for community outreach, design, materials, and time.
The final artwork will cover both sides. Artistically enhanced hearts will be located in the following locations:
• Falcon Park- 15050 W. Indian School Rd.
• Goodyear Community Park- 3075 N. Litchfield Rd.
• Bullard Wash Park- 152nd Ave. and Virgina Ave.
• McDowell & Pebble Creek Pkwy
• Parque de Paz- 1601 N. Palo Verde Drive
• Loma Linda Park- 430 E. Loma Linda Blvd.
• Municipal Complex- 14455 W. Van Buren St.
• Goodyear Ballpark- 1933 S. Ballpark Way
• Fire Station 182- 10701 S. Estrella Pkwy.
• Foothills Community Park- 12795 S. Estrella Pkwy.
Artists are required to provide all materials to execute the painting of the artwork on the heart and to maintain a clean work environment on-site. The city will apply a primer to the fiberglass heart prior to artwork being painted. Artist will use paint that maintains the appearance of the artwork in the harsh Arizona climate and apply a sealant on the completed artwork. The artist will be responsible for coordinating community outreach efforts and will paint the heart on-site.
The hearts will promote civic pride, include reference to the city of Goodyear 75th Anniversary and be designed to represent a specific decade. Artists are encouraged to include historic visuals that focus on Goodyear but also consider broader historic references (state, national, and world). Each themed heart will represent one of the following decades:
• Goodyear Future
The artwork will be graphically clear, colorful, innovative, and decade-specific. The project calls for an artist that is excited about engaging with Goodyear residents and businesses as well as creating designs that reflect and celebrate Goodyear. Historical themes for the artwork will reflect Goodyear’s values and be driven by community input.
To view the full Call to Artists visit- www.Goodyearaz.gov/arts
Organization/Company: City of Goodyear Arts & Culture
Location: Goodyear, AZ
Deadline: August 30, 2020
How to Apply: Interested artists shall submit the following submission materials no later than August 30, 2020.
1. “Letter of Interest,” not to exceed two (2) pages. In the letter, state reason for your interest in this project, specific plans for community outreach in Goodyear, which themed decade would you be most interested in creating art for (more than one decade may be selected) and any other information of the artist’s choosing.
2. Current resume, not to exceed two (2) pages.
3. No more than five digital images of relevant past work.
Do not embed images into PowerPoint or submit moving images or audio files. Submit only high-quality JPGs (no GIFs, TIFFs or other formats). Files must be less than 5 MB. Files must be titled with a number indicating the viewing order followed by the artist’s last name. The numbers must correspond to the accompanying Annotated Image List. Use “0” in front of single digit numbers. Do not use more than 30 characters, and use only letters, numbers and underscores. Example: 01_Smith.
4. If applicable, corresponding, “Annotated Image List” with title, media, dimensions, location, brief description and date of the work, project budget, and project partners.
5. 1-3 proposed design concepts to communicate a specific decade.
Materials may only be submitted electronically to Guylene Ozlanski at [email protected] Submissions that are incomplete or late will not be accepted. If you have any questions contact Guylene at 623-882-7530 or by email [email protected]