Quilts and storytelling have always complemented one another. Quilts are blanketed in the oral tradition from construction and deconstruction to concept, purpose culture and history.
What stories do your quilts tell? Are they family stories? Utilitarian stories? Animal stories? Travel stories? Maybe a concept? Or maybe, “I got mad and cut it all up and sewed it back together” stories? Regardless of whether the narrative lies in the imagery of the quilt, the process in which you made it, or the significance of design or purpose, we want to see your story quilts.
This exhibition will take place at Vision Gallery and the Chandler Center for the Arts from November 20, 2021 – January 8, 2022.
About the Juror
Ellen M. Blalock started quilting over 20 years ago to replace what was taken from her family. As a narrative artist and documentarian, she works in several mediums: quilting, photography, film/video, and drawing. Her main goal is to tell the stories of people that have been marginalized. She is particularly interested in female identity and power and the African diaspora.
Originally from Philadelphia, PA, Blalock now lives in Syracuse, NY. She has a B.F.A. from Temple University and M.F.A. from Syracuse University. She lectures on art/quilting, race and social issues. She has taught art history and studio arts at colleges and universities: Syracuse University, Georgia Southern University, Georgia College & State University, and Onondaga Community College.
Her art quilts have been exhibited in several solo and group exhibitions, including: Gibbs Museum, Charleston, SC; Bundy Museum, Binghamton, NY; Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center, Auburn, NY; Natural History Museum, Los Angeles, CA; The African American Museum, Philadelphia, PA and Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse, NY.
Blalock has received several awards, grants, fellowships and residencies and she serves on the Syracuse Public Arts Commission.
Organization/Company: Vision Gallery
Location: Chandler, AZ
Deadline: September 13, 2021 Midnight MST
How to Apply: For a $15 fee, artists may submit up to 3 works for consideration. Please follow these instructions:
1. Complete artist submission form
- Please complete the online submission form with all of the information relevant to your submission including contact and title card information. You will need the following: title, medium, year created, and sales price for all three artworks, and an artist statement with any information you think will be relevant to the juror.
- Submission form: https://forms.gle/bREzqMDtZGbzxRVy7
2. Email [email protected] with images of the quilts you are submitting. For each submitted work, include a full view and a detail view. Images should be .jpeg files up to 3000 pixels in the longest direction, and no shorter than 1000 pixels in the shortest direction. This allows the images to be considered for printed marketing materials. ***Please include your images as attachments in your email – please do not embed them in the body of the email***. Please title digital files with your full name and the work’s title. Example: Smith, Theresa_Cholla_det.jpg would indicate the piece titled: “Cholla”, detail view by Theresa Smith.
3. Payment: the $15 submission fee can be paid either online or by calling 480-782-2695. Submissions are considered incomplete until the submission fee has been paid.
- Pay online here: https://my-site-107539-101568.square.site/product/art-quilts-xxvi-stitching-stories-submission-fee/250