Prominent artists from across the United States submit their work to the Juried Art Exhibition in the categories below. Participants are recognized at the Artist’s Reception and Awards Ceremony, a gathering that celebrates the diversity of African descendants in the visual arts.
All art entries are reviewed by a panel of 3 judges who will choose the winning entries.
Best Of Show:
- One-person Focused Exhibition
The artist who is awarded Best of Show prize will be offered a focused exhibition at the Dayton Art Institute. Date to be determined by the artist and the Dayton Art Institute.
- 1st Place 2 Dimensional: $1,000.00
- 2nd Place 2 Dimensional: $500.00
- 1st Place 3 Dimensional: $1,000.00
- 2nd Place 3 Dimensional: $500.00
Applicants must be 18 years or older and of African descent.
Each artist may submit from 1 to 3 images. Artwork must have been completed in the past three years and has not been shown in the previous BHTVR National Art exhibits. A non-refundable fee of $60 for up to 3 entries will be taken by CallForEntry.org through credit cards and Paypal. You can pay also by check or money order payable to the African American Visual Artists Guild or AAVAG. The check or money order must be sent separately to AAVAG, 840 Germantown Street, Dayton, OH 45402. Do not submit money order or check with your online entry to CallForEntry.org. They cannot accept a check or money order online.
Photography, Textiles, Drawing, Ceramics, Sculpture, Paintings, Mixed Media
Sculptures cannot weigh over 40 pounds, two dimensional artwork cannot be wider than 7 feet (64 inches).
- All entries must be submitted through CallForEntry.org – BHTVR (Black Heritage through Visual Rhythms).
Images must be:
File type: JPEG or JPG only
File dimensions: 300 dpi x1,200 pixels or greater on the longest side.
File size: Under 5 MB per image. Anything outside of these specifications will result in an error and upload fail.
- One (1) image for 2 dimension images and no more than two (2) images for 3 dimensional.
- Each art entry must include the artists name, title of artwork, date of completion, medium, size of the artwork and frame, price/insurance value, bio/artist statement (not to exceed 250 words) and an artist’s photo head shot for the catalog.
- Artwork must reflect the artwork submitted as accurately as possible in color and detail.
- Political or Politically biased Art entries may be excluded by the Dayton Art Institute.
Organization/Company: African American Visual Artists Guild
Location: Dayton, OH
How to Apply: Any questions about the entry process at https://artist.callforentry.org/festivals_unique_info.php?ID=9198.
Call or email your questions to: Clifford Darrett, 937-263-9907, [email protected]