Position: Managing Director
City: Twin Cities – Minneapolis-St. Paul
Type: Full-time – 1.0 FTE
Category: Executive and management
Benefits: Flexible scheduling + work from home opportunities
Salary: $38,000- $45,000, depending on experience
Zorongo Flamenco Dance Theatre uses the passion and history of traditional Flamenco to create innovative works that explore the issues of our contemporary world.
Since its founding in 1982 by Susana di Palma, its current artistic director, Zorongo Flamenco Dance Theatre has enriched its community with the cante, baile y toque of the flamenco traditions of the Gitano/Roma population in southern Spain. Zorongo produces original and innovative works of dance theater by Susana di Palma at venues, large and small, in Minneapolis-St. Paul and throughout Minnesota. Zorongo’s vibrant school offers classes built around the traditional palos, or styles, of Flamenco.
The managing director will provide support and leadership to bring programming to new audiences and build infrastructure. The role is supported by strong partnerships with the artistic director, arts administrator, grant writer, outside bookkeeper, and board of directors, and is responsible for cultivating resources in pursuit of Zorongo’s mission and strategic plan. This leadership position operates as a co-equal with the artistic director, with both reporting to the board of directors, on three organizational priorities:
1. Present original flamenco theater & traditional flamenco to new and existing audiences
2. Recruit and retain an engaged student body
3. Sustain a growing operational & financial infrastructure.
Opportunities for the role
After years with only an artistic director and a part-time arts administrator, this organization is positioned for growth. There is unique potential to increase annual budget of $200,000 through strategic and financial programming. Ideal people for this job are passionate entrepreneurs, crusaders to a cause, and creative, resourceful, problem-solvers. The ideal candidate will seize the opportunity to grow this position into that of a full-time Executive Director within 3-5 years.
● 3 years of management/leadership experience, preferably nonprofit arts;
● Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience
● Knowledge of finances and budget operations;
● Excellent communication skills in both written and verbal form;
● Demonstrated ability to market and promote programming;
● Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel; Quickbooks;
● Facility & passion for working with people of diverse communities, cultures and experiences.;
● Knowledge of Spanish is helpful
Overall responsibilities of the role
● Cultivate and create performing opportunities in schools, libraries, community centers, corporations and theaters in the Twin Cities and beyond;
● Procure venue and events bookings and contracts;
● Market Zorongo performance, outreach, and school activities effectively;
● Create, manage, and monitor the organization’s annual operating budget;
● Supervise arts administrator, grant writer, and bookkeeper as appropriate, including performance reviews;
● Provide support & leadership for staff, program artists, and guest artists;
● Provide reports and communications to the board of directors, as appropriate;
● Develop and implement strategic planning, in partnership with the board of directors;
● Lead fundraising and grantwriting to cultivate relationships that broaden and deepen base of government, foundation, corporate, individual support;
● Lead evaluation process of all organization activities;
● Lead search and acquisition of new rehearsal and class facility within two years;
● Attend Arts Midwest and similar conferences and cultivate relationships with performing and presenting venues through the Minnesota and the United States;
● Promote a positive organizational environment;
Organization/Company: Zorongo Flamenco Dance Theatre
Location: Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Deadline: Open until filled.
How to Apply: Send cover letter and resume to ZorongoFlamencoHiring@gmail.com with Managing Director Search in subject line. Open until filled.